It hit me last night, as I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. My biggest enemy is… COMPLACENCY. So what’s the big deal you ask? There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling grounded and rooted in a routine, secure in a relationship or job, and stable in the season you are in personally or professionally. However I have found that the threat of complacency often masks itself as these same feelings of peace and comfort. The difference being, complacency tends to (over time) stir up feelings of unhappiness and discouragement, often leaving you confused as to what the culprit is, and completely deflated in the process. These 5 tips will help you combat that complacency and keep you moving forward in all areas of your life.
1. Try something new: if you’re married like me, it’s easy to get into a complacent, comfortable routine. Yet it is so important to switch things up! Try a new date spot, an adventure, read a book together or learn a new hobby. Recently, my husband and I started doing a half hour of sunrise yoga together on the patio before our daughters wake. Not only does my mind and body feel good, but I have noticed a huge difference in our personal connection in just a few short weeks!
2. Hang with the dreamers: these don’t have to be folks who dream the same dreams as you either! In fact, I find it just as important (if not more important) to surround yourself with other creatives that are rooted in different professions, yet aren’t afraid to dream big and stretch outside their comfort zone. Look to meet with a group of innovators each month to light up a new fire inside– it’s contagious!
3. Stay open minded: this may be an obvious one, but perhaps the one I hear most struggle with. It is so incredibly easy to fall into the mundane trap of what is comfortable (personally, professionally, parent wise, etc). and we tend to lean into this comfort because it is familiar. However I want to challenge you to approach each day with a sense of wonder and open mindedness. When you remain open, you will begin to notice new opportunities you never spotted before- pulling you right out of that complacent mindset rut.
4. Find an accountability partner: does this sound cheesy? I felt that way too at first. But boy is it crucial to keeping things fresh! Share with a friend or coworker your goals for the upcoming season. Be honest about what you are trying to achieve and where you are trying to go- and check in with each other! It is one thing to write out your vision in a journal or calendar, but it is an entirely different motivator when we give those visions life by sharing them with a trusted, encouraging confidant. Try it!
5. Reflect back: You may not be who or where you want to be just yet, but you know what? You are no longer where and who you use to be, and isn’t that a gift? Reflecting back on your journey isn’t muddling in the past mistakes or failures, but it is appreciating the seasons of life that worked to grow and shape you. Choose to use those lessons today as fuel to drive through any complacency you may be feeling, filling you with gratitude and energy to conquer the day.
Do you struggle with seasons of complacency? What is it that you use to pull yourself out of ruts? Comment below, I want to hear from you.